Today’s post is sponsored by Olive Nation, my one-stop online shop for speciality food items.
With patio weather just around the corner, I’m daydreaming about margarita wine spritzers and savory slices of mushroom flatbread pizza. Thanks to store-bought flatbreads and pre-sliced mushrooms they take no time at all, but it’s a drizzle of something special takes them to new elegant heights. It’s the sort of thing that will leave people wondering, “what is that deliciousness?”
Finishing oils are to the cooking world like perfumes are to the fashion world: it’s that final touch that adds a lot of glamour to a dish. Until recently I never gave much thought to oils infused with different flavors, but then the nice folks at Olive Nation sent me a bottle of white truffle oil and now I get it. A few drops took my simple and easy mushroom flatbread pizza from good to great.
Truffles and mushrooms are a classic pairing, but until I win the lottery I don’t see a lot of truffle shopping in my future. Fresh truffles can set you back thousands of dollars, so truffle oil is an affordable way (like $10 affordable!) to dress up an otherwise simple dish. Drizzle it on salads, macaroni and cheese, french fries, pasta, mashed potatoes and, of course, mushroom flatbread pizza.
More Appetizers RecipesPrint
Mushroom Flatbread Pizza
These mushroom flatbread pizzas are easy to make thanks to store-bought flatbreads and pre-sliced mushrooms. Assemble the pizzas while the oven preheats and then drizzle the white truffle oil over the top while they’re still hot. The heat will release the truffle aroma, so take a deep breath – it’s heavenly.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 ounces pre-sliced mixed mushrooms
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 (7-inch) store-bought whole wheat flatbreads
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced (white and green parts)
- 2 teaspoons white truffle oil (see note)
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a 10-inch skillet, melt the butter with the olive oil over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and saute them until browned, about ten minutes. Season them with the salt and pepper and remove the pan from the heat.
- Lay out the flatbreads. First, using a pastry or barbeque brush, coat them with the leftover butter and oil from the pan of mushrooms. There should be just enough to lightly coat the flatbreads. If not, drizzle a teaspoon of olive oil over the top of each flatbread. Top each flatbread with cheese, mushrooms, a sprinkle of thyme, and the green onions.
- Bake the pizzas at 400 degrees for 5-10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
- Drizzle the truffle oil over the top of the flatbread (about 1/2 teaspoon per pizza). Sprinkle the parmesan cheese over the top, slice, and serve.
You can find white truffle oil online at many retailers, although be sure to check your local grocery store – you may be able to find it in the olive oil section. It’s a finishing oil, so you wouldn’t want to cook with it like normal olive oil. Store it in a cool, dark place. A little goes a long way, so a small bottle is great to have on hand when you want to add an elegant finish to a dish.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 295
- Sugar: 2g
- Sodium: 723.1mg
- Fat: 18.7g
- Saturated Fat: 8.6g
- Unsaturated Fat: 8.8g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 20.8g
- Fiber: 4.4g
- Protein: 12.2g
- Cholesterol: 31.8g
Keywords: mushroom flatbread pizza
I have never commented on a recipe before, but this was outstanding!
Oh, that’s so great! So glad you liked it 🙂
Love, love mushroom pizza so I couldn’t wait to buy some truffle oil. The Pizza on flatbread was just wonderful and I’m now a convert. Such a yummy treat, who knew truffle oil could be so great – made a cold, dreary day like sunshine!
Denise @ Sweet Peas & Saffron says
Oh I so want to try truffle oil! I always see them using that stuff on Top Chef, and I bet it is absolutely amazing on your pizzas! They look delish!
You should try it, Denise – it’s so good!
Peter @ Feed Your Soul Too says
Totally into this combination. I really like mushrooms and serving them on flatbread – Yum!
This sounds soooo good, I’m a recent convert to truffle oil, and now I want to slather it on everything 🙂
It’s so good, right?!
ginger and scotch says
Love love love truffle oil – a bottle goes such a long way too. We also love putting a small drizzle on pizza (and mushroom soup!).
Ooooh, I like the mushroom soup idea!
Debi at Life Currents says
I’ve been on a mushroom kick lately, so these flatbreads look awesome! Thanks for the recipe!
This pizza looks like pure heaven! I haven’t ever know much about finishing oils but now I really want to try them! And I want to try this amazing recipe!
Thanks so much, Britni 🙂