This sheet pan chicken with veggies is an easy low-fuss dinner or make-ahead lunch idea that’s heavy on green vegetables with bites of boneless, skinless chicken breast tossed in a smoky paprika rub. Drizzle the garlic-basil dressing over it for a pop of brightness!
Even I, your fearless comfort food connoisseur, needs a light and healthy dinner every once in a while and more often than not I turn to the sheet pan method to cook lean chicken and fresh veggies together all at the same time.
For this version, it’s a medly of green vegetables like broccoli, green beans, and asparagus that bake with cubed chicken seasoned with a paprika spice rub.
But, wait! There’s more – a simple garlic-basil dressing that you can drizzle over the top before you serve it. It’s like part salad part chicken dinner and it goes perfectly with rice or cauliflower rice on the side.
I first shared this recipe back in ye olden time of 2018 and it’s one I’ve made many times since when I want something light and feel-good. So, here it is again in case you missed it the first time.
Can You Cook Chicken and Veggies in the Same Pan?
I am so glad you asked because, in case you skipped the intro, YES, you can! Well, I should specify you can cook this chicken and veggies recipe on the same pan – the first secret is to use vegetables that will all cook in the same amount of time. The second secret is to cut the chicken into the same-sized pieces so they cook at the same rate, too.
While you could go with just one type of veggie, I like the combo of asparagus, broccoli, and green beans. You get a few different textures in each bite with a little bit of bitter from the broccoli, a touch of butteriness from the green beans, and earthy brightness from the asparagus.
The Paprika Spice Rub
I dress the boneless, skinless chicken breast up with a simple spice rub that I call, for lack of a better name, paprika spice rub because, well, it starts with paprika, plus a few other spices you most likely have hidden in your spice rack:
- Regular paprika will work fine, but I prefer smoked paprika
- Add some onion powder and garlic powder
- And salt and pepper
Once you’ve coated the chicken with the rub just spread it out on the sheet pan with the veggies and into the oven it goes.
The last piece of this sheet pan chicken is a simple garlic-basil dressing – mix it up while the chicken and veggies are cooking. Here’s what you need:
- Olive oil
- Lemon juice
- Fresh basil
Either drizzle the dressing over the hot chicken and veggies while they’re on the sheet pan or serve it on the side and drizzle to taste. Either way, you get a pop of fresh flavor.
This sheet chicken recipe serves four as a light dinner, so add some rice on the side to make it feel a little more dinner-y and filling. I like to save the leftovers for lunch – you can enjoy them cold or reheat them.
Happy sheet pan cooking!
More Easy Dinner Recipes
- Tuscan-Style Chicken Skillet
- Ravioli with Asparagus and Mushrooms
- Beet Tops Pesto
- 13 Quick & Easy Dinner Recipes
This sheet pan chicken is heavy on green vegetables with bites of boneless, skinless chicken breast tossed in a smoked paprika rub. Drizzle the garlic-basil dressing over the hot veggies and chicken for a pop of brightness and serve it up – This recipe serves four for a light dinner, so add some cooked brown rice if you want it to be more filling. The leftovers are great for lunches, too.
For the Veggies
- 8 ounces fresh green beans, stems removed (see note)
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, stems trimmed
- 8 ounces fresh broccoli florets
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher salt
For the Chicken
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into 2” pieces
For the Basil-Garlic Dressing
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 large clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 pinches of kosher salt
- 1 pinch of black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Spread the veggies in an even layer on a large baking sheet. Drizzle them with olive oil and sprinkle a few pinches of salt over the top. Stir them around the pan to coat them evenly in the oil.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, dried oregano, salt, and pepper. Add the chicken and toss it in the spices until it is evenly coated. Place the chicken pieces on top of the veggies. Bake the chicken and veggies for 20 to 30 minutes or until the chicken pieces are cooked through.
- While the chicken and veggies bake prepare the dressing. Whisk the basil, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper together in a small bowl until combined. Top each serving of chicken and veggies with a few drizzles of the dressing and serve.
To make this even easier look for pre-prepped broccoli and green beans in the produce department.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 389
- Sugar: 5.3g
- Sodium: 659mg
- Fat: 24.7g
- Saturated Fat: 3.8g
- Unsaturated Fat: 18.8g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 15.1g
- Fiber: 6.4g
- Protein: 31.2g
- Cholesterol: 82.7mg
Keywords: sheet pan chicken recipe, chicken and asparagus
Post updated from the archives. First published in May 2018.