Beef short ribs simmered in a savory sauce all day then piled high on sweet Hawaiian rolls. These slow cooker short rib sliders are a game-day favorite!
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: food is the best thing about football season. As a girl without a team or a care, really, about who wins or loses (my Broncos-loving family will have my neck for even writing that), I’m not the one hanging around the water cooler reliving the previous day’s game with fellow co-workers. I am, however, an avid food fan so if there’s a spread of tasty bites at a game-day get together I am so there – chips, dips, wings, pizza, and burgers – game-day eats and treats are what I care about and I will show up and cheer if it means I get to eat.
The best game-day eats are ones that are easily assembled and eaten whether you’re parked on the couch or standing around because all the seats are taken. These short rib sliders are perfect for that – compact and easy to eat. Tender, fall-apart shredded short ribs piled on toasted sweet Hawaiian rolls and topped with provolone cheese – they’re simple but so full of flavor and, I can promise, they will be a huge hit if you have any plans for a game-day gathering at your house.
The best part? We get to use the slow-cooker!
You’ll need 2o minutes of prep time to brown the short ribs and veggies before they go in slow-cooker. The prep time is so important, so don’t skip it and chuck all of the ingredients in the slow cooker. You’ll get so much more flavor, so it’s worth the small effort.
Just before you’re ready to serve toast up your Hawaiian sweet rolls…
Once you’re ready to serve them let folks build their own – I kept ours simple with just a few thin slices of provolone cheese to top them off but feel free to pile on whatever toppings make you happy. The choice is yours!
Happy game watching!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds boneless short
ribs,seasoned on all sides with salt and pepper.
- 2 medium
- 2 celery
- 1 yellow
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon crushed fennel seed
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 2 cups beef broth
- 32 ounce crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- black pepper
- 12 small Hawaiian sweet rolls
- provolone cheese
- First heat the olive oil over
medium highheat. Add the short ribs and let them cook until they are nicely browned on one side. Flip them over and brown them on the other side. Remove them from the pan and set aside. Add the carrots, celery, onion, and garlic to the pan. Cook all of the veggies until softened. Add in the fennel seed and chopped parselyand give everything a stir.
- Transfer all of the veggies a slow-cooker. Place the short ribs on top of the veggies (also pour in any juice on the plate). Add the beef broth, tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, and molasses. Stir it all together, cover it with the lid, and let it cook on low for 8-10 hours.
- Carefully remove the short ribs from the slow cooker and set them on a plate. Using two forks, shred the beef and then return it to the slow cooker. Stir everything together, give it a taste and check for seasoning. Add additional salt and pepper, if needed. Replace the lid to keep all of it warm.
- Turn the oven to broil. Slice the rolls in half and place them
cut sideup on a baking sheet. Toast them under the broiler for a few minutes until they turn a nice golden brown. Using a vegetable peeler, slice off thin slices of the provolone cheese.
- Scoop some of the shredded short ribs onto a roll. Top with a few slices of provolone cheese and serve.