A super easy cheese dip – no stove required! This smooth and creamy dip takes less than 15 minutes to make and calls for just a few simple ingredients. Learn how to make this restaurant-style cheese dip using your microwave, but, beware, this stuff is addicting!
Easy Cheese Dip
A few posts back I shared a recipe for hot roast beef sandwiches with a super simple microwave cheese sauce and I knew it was only a matter of time before I shared an equally easy microwave cheese dip. Goals are good. Meeting those goals is even better and so here we are today with a bowl of creamy, smooth cheese dip otherwise known as tortilla chip’s best friend.
And unlike other recipes I’ve seen for cheese dips, this version uses real cheese – no gelatinous and wobbly blocks of what I like to call “cheese-like” products – with a few other ingredients that, when combined, transform into a smooth and cheesy concoction reminiscent of what you might order alongside your margaritas at the local Mexican cantina.
3 Important Ingredients for Microwave Cheese Dip
The base of this simple recipe, lightly adapted from Bon Appetit, is made up of three simple ingredients when combined create a smooth and creamy cheese dip.
- Real mild cheddar cheese and fontina cheese: Be sure to buy blocks of cheese and grate it yourself. You will need 8 ounces total of cheese which should be weighed before you shred it.
- I’ve tested this recipe using cups of shredded cheese and have gotten mixed results because the total amount of cheese will vary depending on how tightly you pack it into the measuring cup.
- I haven’t tested this recipe with pre-shredded cheese. If you do please let me know how it went in the comments!
- Cornstarch: Because we’re using real cheese we need a stabilizer, in this case, cornstarch, so that the cheese melts evenly and doesn’t get stringy.
- Evaporated milk is the other secret ingredient used to create a smooth and creamy dip. It’s more concentrated than regular milk and cream resulting in a smooth and shiny dip.
How To Make Cheese Dip in the Microwave
- I use a 4-cup Pyrex measuring cup to make this cheese dip, but any microwave-safe bowl that holds at least three cups will work. I like to toss the cheese with the cornstarch in the container until the starch is evenly coating the cheese.
- Pour the evaporated milk over the cheese
- I like to add some canned diced tomatoes with green chile (I use Rotel brand), but it’s optional. If you use it be sure to drain of any excess liquid before adding it to the cheese.
- Place the bowl in the microwave and cook it for one minute. Stop and stir the dip and cook it again for 30 seconds and stir. Continue cooking it in 30-second increments, stopping and stirring each time, until the dip is smooth and creamy.
- The dip will thicken as it stands.
This is a quick 15-minute cheesy treat – add some chips, guacamole, and a margarita and Monday night will feel a whole lot better.
More Appetizer Recipes
- Bacon-Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers
- Sweet & Spicy Meatball Bites
- 22 New Year’s Eve Snack Ideas
- Goat Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms
- Favorite Easy Dip Recipes
Easy Cheese Dip (in the Microwave!)
This smooth and creamy cheese dip has real cheese (no wobbly blocks of cheese-product required!), cooks up in the microwave in just a few minutes, and goes great with some chips and guacamole on the side.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 minutes
- Total Time: 12 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Appetizers
- Method: Microwave
- Cuisine: American
- 2 ounces fontina cheese, shredded
- 6 ounces mild cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup canned diced tomatoes with green chile (Rotel), drained
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh cilantro, optional
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the fontina, cheddar cheese, salt, and cornstarch. The cornstarch should evenly coat the cheese. Pour the milk into the bowl and add the diced tomatoes with green chile.
- Place the bowl in the microwave and cook it for 1 minute. Stir the dip and microwave it for another 30 seconds and stir again. Cook it for 30 seconds more and stir it again. At this point, it should be smooth, but if it’s not, continue cooking it for 30-second increments and stirring until it is smooth.
You want to use block cheese so you can weigh it and then shred it. This is because if you measure the shredded cheese using a measuring cup the total amount will vary depending on how tightly you pack the cheese. So, for best results weigh it before you shred it.
Recipe lightly adapted from Bon Appetit
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 190
- Sugar: 2.4g
- Sodium: 526.8mg
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated Fat: 7.6g
- Unsaturated Fat: 4.2g
- Trans Fat: 0.3g
- Carbohydrates: 7.2g
- Fiber: 0g
- Protein: 11.1g
Keywords: easy cheese dip, microwave cheese dip, cheddar cheese dip