If you’re grocery shopping this weekend be sure to add chicken and peppers to your list. This recipe is easy to make and takes only 30 minutes – it’s a weeknight dinner hero! I piled the chicken and colorful bell peppers in soft rolls and topped them with provolone cheese and popped them under the broiler. Chicken and peppers make a hearty sandwich filling and are also great rolled up in tortillas, served over rice, or tossed with some pasta. Find a place for this recipe in your weekly dinner rotation – it’s destined to be a go-to favorite.
Chicken and Peppers on Soft Rolls
Boneless skinless chicken breasts and colorful bell peppers cook up in no time with a few pantry ingredients to give them lots of flavor. It’s a great weeknight dish.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 8
- Category: Main Course
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, seasoned on both sides with salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 bell peppers (whichever colors you like best!)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 top-sliced hot dog buns (I used Pepperidge Farm)
- 8 thin slices provolone cheese
- Slice the chicken breasts in half horizontally to make thin pieces. Slice each of the pieces into thin strips (about 1/2 an inch). Slice the long ones in half so all the strips are approximately the same length.
- For the bell peppers, slice off the tops and bottoms and remove the seeds and white ribs from inside. Slice each pepper down one side to open it up. Slice each pepper into strips.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken breast strips and cook them until they are no longer pink on the outside, about five minutes or so.
- Add the bell pepper strips and toss it all together and let it cook for another few minutes until the bell peppers start to soften. Add the garlic powder, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper and the apple cider vinegar. Stir everything together and let it cook for another five minutes. Add the butter, stir again until it’s melted and turn off the heat.
- Turn the oven to broil. Place the hot dog buns on a baking sheet. Line each bun with a slice of cheese. Pile some of the chicken and peppers into each bun and top each with another slice of cheese. Place the baking sheet under the broiler until the cheese starts to bubble on top. Remove the pan from the oven and serve.