These gingerbread baked donuts are a sweet way to bring in some holiday cheer. Topped with a thick and drippy maple glaze they are sure to make your mornings brighter this time of year.
Gingerbread Baked Donuts
It’s been thirteen days since my last post and these gingerbread baked donuts mark the end of the posting drought. Life’s been busy in anticipation of more change just around the corner. A change I am all at once happy-excited about and a little scared – not too scared, mind you, just some minor shaking-in-my boots anxiety.
And the holidays! The holidays are here – a fact I was reminded of last weekend when I realized only a handful of days stand between me and a plane that will carry me back to Colorado/Wyoming to spend Christmas with my family.
How’d it get here so fast?
So it was last weekend that I decided to infuse my heart and house with some Christmas cheer. Nothing says the holidays quite like the scent of ginger and cinnamon filling the house, hinting at some sweet baked good in the oven. This time it’s gingerbread baked donuts with a thick and drippy maple glaze.
The batter is a simple affair and takes all of ten minutes to mix and, before you know it, you’re pulling hot, fresh-baked donuts from the oven.
In the time it takes to brew some coffee you can glaze the donuts. The glaze starts with some warm melted butter, confectioner’s sugar, and a generous stream of sticky maple syrup. Stir until smooth ribbons of glaze ooze off the spoon.
Each donut takes a dip in the glaze or maybe a double-dip if you’re a glaze-loving donut person like I am. Let them sit until the glaze hardens, an exercise I found incredibly difficult.
These are sure to inspire some Christmas cheer.
More Breakfast Baking Ideas
Gingerbread Baked Donuts
These gingerbread baked donuts are a sweet way to bring in some holiday cheer.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 12-16 donuts depending on pan size 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: American
- Cooking spray
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ cup molasses
- 1 cup buttermilk
For the Glaze
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk (see instructions)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray donut pans with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. In a large bowl, whisk the butter, sugar, egg, vanilla, molasses, and buttermilk. Pour the batter into a large resealable bag and seal the bag. Snip the corner and pipe the batter into the donut pan, filling each cup approximately 3/4 of the way.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Cool the donuts in the pan for a few minutes before transferring to a baking rack.
- Once the donuts are cooled, make the glaze. Combine the warm melted butter with the syrup and sugar until smooth. The glaze will thicken as it stands, so use the buttermilk to thin it, as needed. Dip one side of the donuts in the glaze and let them stand until the glaze hardens before serving.
Keywords: gingerbread donuts, baked donuts recipe