When a caprese salad joins forces with a sandwich you get these fresh and summery caprese roast beef sandwiches that you’ll want to make for all your summer get-togethers.
Caprese Roast Beef Sandwiches
Deli-sliced roast beef, juicy tomatoes, greens tossed in a tangy dressing along with slices of creamy fresh mozzarella and a pop of fresh basil is how I take a classic Italian caprese salad and marry it with a sandwich. This big caprese roast beef sandwich feeds a crowd and is the perfect take-along for all your summer get-togethers, picnics, or random-Tuesday-night-hot-weather-dinner.
Some Ingredients You’ll Need
- Deli-sliced roast beef: Buy the good stuff for this sandwich at the deli counter and avoid packaged roast beef.
- Fresh greens: I used green leaf lettuce, but have also made this sandwich with spinach and spring green mix, so use your favorite greens!
- The greens are dressing in a super simple balsamic vinegar and olive oil combo with some dried Italian seasoning.
- Tomato slices: When tomatoes are in season you can’t go wrong with just a basic farm-fresh variety, but for the rest of the year I use cherry tomatoes because they are available year-round and taste good even in the dead of winter.
- Fresh basil leaves: No chopping required!
- Fresh mozzarella: I buy an eight-ounce ball and slice it for the sandwich.
- The bread: My grocery store sells big french bread loaves and I like them because they’re soft without a chewy crust. Look for something similar in the baked goods section.
How to Make a Caprese Roast Beef Sandwich
- First, slice the bread in half horizontally.
- Toss the greens with the dressing and place them on the bottom piece of bread.
- Top the greens with the roast beef.
- Follow the roast beef with the fresh mozzarella.
- Top the cheese with the sliced tomatoes and finish with the fresh basil.
- I use a serrated knife to slice the sandwich into eight small sandwiches.
I’ve toted these sandwiches to picnics and I’ve also wrapped up the slices in cling wrap to keep in the refrigerator for a grab-and-go lunch during the week. Either way, these carprese roast beef sandwiches need to be in your summertime sandwich rotation.
More Burger & Sandwich Recipes
- Hot Roast Beef Sandwiches with Cheddar Cheese Sauce
- Cilantro-Lime Salmon Burgers with Avocado Mayo
- Grown-Up Sloppy Joes
- Slow Cooker Shredded Beef Sandwiches
📩 Want more delicious recipe ideas? Sign up and get the free email series Gourmet Made Easy plus new recipes delivered to your inbox!Print
This big sandwich combines a fresh caprese sandwich with deli-sliced roast beef. It’s great for picnics or summer get-togethers.
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- kosher salt and pepper
- 3 cup torn green leaf lettuce
- 1 large loaf of soft white bread, sliced in half horizontally (see note)
- 1 pound deli-sliced roast beef
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
- 1 large tomatoes, sliced
- 10 fresh basil leaves
- Whisk the vinegar, Italian seasoning, and olive oil in a large bowl. Place the lettuce in the bowl, season it with a couple pinches of salt and pepper, and gently toss it to coat it evenly with the dressing.
- Place the lettuce on the bottom half of the bread. Top the lettuce with the roast beef, followed by the mozzarella, tomatoes, and basil. Spring a few pinches of salt over the top of the basil and tomatoes.
- Place the top half of the bread on top of the sandwich. Slice the sandwich into eight smaller sandwiches and serve.
- I bought a large loaf of bread in the bakery section at my grocery store for this recipe. I think this sandwich works best with a soft loaf, instead of one with a chewy crust, so look for something similar where you shop.
- Because the nutritional content varies greatly between types of bread and brands, I have left it out of the nutritional information. The estimate include information for the sandwich fillings only.
- Category: Lunch
- Method: Assemble
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/8 of sandwich fillings
- Calories: 172
- Sugar: 1.2g
- Sodium: 666.7mg
- Fat: 10.2g
- Saturated Fat: 4.7g
- Trans Fat: 0.1g
- Carbohydrates: 2.3g
- Fiber: 0.4g
- Protein: 17.2g
- Cholesterol: 51.3mg
Keywords: roast beef sandwich recipe, big roast beef sandwich, easy roast beef sandwich recipe
The nutrition information in this recipe is an estimate only and was calculated using Nutrifox, an online nutrition calculator.