When a caprese salad joins forces with a sandwich you get a fresh and summery roast beef sandwich that you’ll want to make for all your summer get-togethers. It’s made with soft Italian bread that’s topped with deli roast beef, lettuce, tomatoes, and fresh mozzarella. Add a zingy balsamic dressing for the finishing touch.
Italian-Style Roast Beef Sandwich
Deli-sliced roast beef, juicy tomatoes, greens tossed in a tangy dressing along with slices of creamy fresh mozzarella and a pop of fresh basil is how I take a classic Italian caprese salad and marry it with a sandwich.
This big roast beef sandwich feeds several people and is the perfect take-along for all your summer get-togethers, picnics, or random-Tuesday-night-hot-weather-dinner.
💌 Sign up for the Girl Gone Gourmet Newsletter and get recipes delivered straight to your inbox!
- Deli-sliced roast beef: Buy the good stuff for this sandwich at the deli counter and avoid packaged roast beef.
- Fresh greens: I used green leaf lettuce, but have also made this sandwich with spinach, arugula and spring green mix, so use your favorite greens!
- The greens are dressing in a super simple balsamic vinegar and olive oil combo with some dried Italian seasoning.
- Tomato slices: When tomatoes are in season you can’t go wrong with just a basic farm-fresh variety, but for the rest of the year I use chopped cherry tomatoes because they are available year-round and taste good even in the dead of winter.
- Fresh basil leaves: No chopping required!
- Fresh mozzarella: I buy an eight-ounce ball and slice it for the sandwich.
- The bread: My grocery store sells big Italian bread loaves and I like them because they’re soft without a chewy crust. Look for something similar in the baked goods section. You could also use ciabatta or another soft Italian bread.
How to Make It
- First, slice the bread in half horizontally.
- Toss the greens with the dressing and place them on the bottom piece of bread.
- Top the greens with the roast beef.
- Follow the roast beef with the fresh mozzarella.
- Top the cheese with the sliced tomatoes and finish with the fresh basil. Add the top bun!
- I use a serrated knife to slice the sandwich into eight small sandwiches.
I’ve toted these sandwiches to picnics to have alongside some potato chips and I’ve also wrapped up the slices in plastic wrap to keep in the refrigerator for a grab-and-go lunch during the week. Either way, these caprese roast beef sandwiches need to be in your summertime sandwich rotation.
More Sandwich Recipes
- Hot Roast Beef Sandwiches with Cheddar Cheese Sauce
- Buffalo Chicken Sandwich
- Italian Sandwich Sliders
- Smoked Salmon Egg Salad Sandwiches
📣 Do you love this recipe? I would love to know! Leave a comment below the recipe along with your recipe star rating.Print
Caprese Roast Beef Sandwich
This big sandwich combines a fresh caprese sandwich with deli-sliced roast beef. It’s great for picnics or summer get-togethers.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 8 sandwiches 1x
- Category: Lunch
- Method: Assemble
- Cuisine: American
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- kosher salt and pepper
- 3 cup torn green leaf lettuce
- 1 (16-oz) loaf of soft Italian bread, sliced in half horizontally
- 1 pound deli-sliced roast beef
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
- 1 large tomatoes, sliced
- 10 fresh basil leaves
- Whisk the vinegar, Italian seasoning, and olive oil in a large bowl. Place the lettuce in the bowl, season it with a couple pinches of salt and pepper, and gently toss it to coat it evenly with the dressing.
- Place the lettuce on the bottom half of the bread. Top the lettuce with the roast beef, followed by the mozzarella, tomatoes, and basil. Spring a few pinches of salt over the top of the basil and tomatoes.
- Place the top half of the bread on top of the sandwich. Slice the sandwich into eight smaller sandwiches and serve.
- I bought a large loaf of bread in the bakery section at my grocery store for this recipe. I think this sandwich works best with a soft loaf, instead of one with a chewy crust, so look for something similar where you shop.
- Serving Size: 1 sandwich
- Calories: 325
- Sugar: 3g
- Sodium: 979.1mg
- Fat: 12.2g
- Saturated Fat: 4.7g
- Unsaturated Fat: 5.8g
- Trans Fat: 0.1g
- Carbohydrates: 30.7g
- Fiber: 2.2g
- Protein: 22.2g
- Cholesterol: 51.3mg
Keywords: roast beef sandwich recipe, roast beef sandwich, easy roast beef sandwich recipe
The nutrition is an estimate only. It was calculated using Nutrifox, an online nutrition calculator.
Post updated from the archives. First published in June 2009.