A few simple ingredients can make a comforting and delicious dinner and there’s nothing better than this 15-minute carbonara. It’s a go-to dinner after a long day.
We all have our vices and one of mine is ordering pizza when it’s been a long day and I just can’t summon the energy to even think about making dinner. I don’t even order good pizza – no hand-tossed artisan pizza for me – and instead, I get a run-of-the-mill pepperoni pizza with a delicious-but-awful-for-you garlic butter dipping sauce delivered to my door.
Yep, it’s my vice and I’m not ashamed.
Most times I order my secret pizza dinner with no scrutiny from the outside world – just me and the pizza delivery guy know. The doorbell rings and within a few minutes, I’m stuffing my face with a slice of the good stuff while binge-watching vintage Real Housewives of NYC. Then I carefully hide the pizza box in the recycling bin and act like the whole thing didn’t happen. Who am I hiding it from? I’m not sure – maybe it’s my own self-judgment that drives me to carefully hide the box in an effort to erase all evidence that the pizza ever existed in the first place. Only me and the pizza delivery guy know the truth.
Recently my unspoken pact with the pizza guy was violated. Instead of quietly delivering my pizza with little conversation, he arrived at my doorstep with a pizza and a newly found judgment in hand. He said: “A medium pepperoni pizza for April… AGAIN.”
As in you order a lot of pizza, lady.
I took it as a sign to find a new vice.
Hello, 15-minute carbonara.
It’s simple. It’s so easy to make. It’s delicious. There’s no risk of delivery guy judgment or worry about hiding the evidence. Plus, it goes really well with reality TV binge sessions.
More Easy Pasta RecipesPrint
Carbonara is one of my favorite comfort foods and is so easy to make. This recipe makes a big serving for one person but with salad or bread on the side, it easily stretches to serve two.
- 4 ounces spaghetti
- 1 slice thick-cut bacon
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- Black pepper, to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add a couple tablespoons of salt to season the water. Add the pasta and cook according to package directions.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg and then stir in the grated Parmesan cheese. Set the bowl aside until you are ready to toss the egg with the pasta.
- Next, cook the bacon in a large pan until crispy. Remove the bacon (turn off the heat and leave the fat in the pan) and let it drain on a paper towel before chopping it into small pieces.
- Once the pasta is boiled scoop it out of the pot and add it to the pan with the bacon fat. Pour the egg mixture over the hot pasta and toss it together very quickly – the heat from the pasta will cook the egg. If needed, add a splash of the starchy pasta water to thicken the sauce.
- Add the chopped parsley and black pepper and continue tossing until combined.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Boil
- Cuisine: Italian-American
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 723
- Sugar: 3.6g
- Sodium: 715.7mg
- Fat: 24.6g
- Saturated Fat: 9.5g
- Unsaturated Fat: 12.5g
- Trans Fat: 0.3g
- Carbohydrates: 90.9g
- Fiber: 4.3g
- Protein: 32.1g
- Cholesterol: 226mg
Keywords: carbonara, bacon carbonara