Chocolate Chunk Oatmeal Cookies
I don’t often make cookies, but when I do I tend to favor soft oatmeal cookies. This has been my go-to recipes for years (I first shared it back in 2009) after I did some tweaking to a chocolate chip oatmeal cookie recipe I found on epicurious.com. I scaled it back a bit – I can’t be trusted around a cookie recipe that makes 72 cookies – added big chocolate chunks, some chopped walnuts, and a little bit of cinnamon. It makes a soft cookie that holds up well for a few days in an airtight container.
A Few More Cookie Recipes
These cookies are a mix and bake affair – no chilling in the refrigerator required. Bake them off all at once or freeze the balls to have on hand when a cookie craving hits. Just take note: frozen dough will need a few extra minutes in the oven. Recipe adapted from epicurious.com
- 1 stick unsalted butter (8 tablespoons), softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 and 1/2 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1 and 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup chocolate chunks
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cream the butter and sugars together until light and fluffy, about ten minutes. Whisk the oats, flour, baking soda and powder, salt, and cinnamon in a medium bowl.
- Add one egg to the butter and sugar and mix on a medium speed until combined. Add the second egg and mix again. Add the vanilla and milk and mix until combined. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ones, in a few batches, mixing until just combined. Fold in the chocolate and walnuts.
- Scoop two tablespoons of dough to form each ball. Place them on the baking sheet spacing them about two inches apart. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the edges turn a light golden brown. Remove them from the oven and let them cool on the sheet for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack. Once cooled store in an airtight container for up to two days.
- Serving Size: 3 cookies
- Calories: 360
- Fat: 17.1g
- Carbohydrates: 47.2g
- Fiber: 3.2g
- Protein: 5.9g