Green Onion Dip is an easy cold dip recipe that you can make ahead for parties, holidays, or game days. Serve it with crackers, vegetable sticks, or potato chips – it’s so creamy and loaded with fresh green onion flavor.
Straight from the department of easy appetizer recipes, we have this green onion dip recipe. It’s made with simple ingredients, quick to prep, and great if you need a make-ahead dip for whatever get-together you have planned.
It’s creamy, cold, and totally dippable – just add your favorite snacks to go with it. If you love green onions, you’ll want to give it a try – it’s full of fresh flavor.
- Cream cheese – Leave it out at room temperature for 20 or 30 minutes so it’s softened.
- Sour cream – I like to make this dip with whole milk, but you can use 2% or skim milk.
- Whole milk – You can also use plain Greek yogurt instead of sour cream. The dip will have a tangier flavor if you try this.
- Green onions (scallions) – Thinly slice them (both white and green parts).
- Kosher salt and white pepper
- Lemon juice
- For dipping: Crackers, carrot sticks, celery sticks, sliced bell peppers, pita chips, tortilla chips, or potato chips. Lots of options!
How to Make It
Combine the cream cheese, sour cream, milk, salt, pepper, and lemon juice with an electric mixer in a large bowl. Mix at a low speed so the milk doesn’t splash up out of the bowl.
Add the sliced green onions and mix to combine. Scoop the dip into a serving bowl (or airtight container) and cover it with plastic wrap. Chill the dip for at least two hours or, ideally, overnight.
This dip will be on the thinner side when you first make it, but it will thicken up while it chills in the refrigerator. Give it a good stir before you serve it.
For serving, I like to garnish the dip with a few sliced green onions. Serve the dip with your favorite dippers.
Food processor option: I like the texture of the sliced onions in the dip, but if you prefer an even smoother dip, you can make the dip in a food processor. Just place all of the ingredients in your food processor fitted with the chopping blade. Blend until the dip is well combined.
Make ahead tips: You can make the dip up to a day in advance and keep it in the refrigerator until you’re ready to serve it. I don’t recommend freezing it.
Leftovers: If you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container. They will keep well for a couple of days.
This is such an easy dip recipe – perfect when you want a quick snack! I hope you give it a try for your next game day party, holiday dinner, or other get-together. Enjoy!
Happy dip making,
Green Onion Dip
Green Onion Dip is a cold dip recipe that you can make ahead for parties, holidays, or game days. It’s creamy and full of fresh flavor.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Appetizers
- Method: Mix
- Cuisine: American
- 1 (8-oz) package cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup whole milk
- 4 large green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Place the cream cheese, sour cream, milk, salt, pepper, and lemon juice in a mixing bowl. Mix at low speed (to prevent the ingredients from splashing) with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Add the green onions and mix to combine. At this point, the consistency will be on the thinner side. Transfer the dip to an airtight container and chill it in the refrigerator for several hours. The dip will thicken once it’s chilled. Give it a stir before serving.
You can blend all of the ingredients in a food processor instead of mixing in a bowl. If you do this, the onions will be blended more into the dip.
I like to make it a day in advance so the flavors fully develop. At a minimum, plan to chill it for at least an hour or so before serving.
Serve it with crackers, veggie sticks, or tortilla chips. It’s also great as a spread for sandwiches and wraps.
- Calories: 135
- Sugar: 2.2g
- Sodium: 252.8mg
- Fat: 12.8g
- Saturated Fat: 7.3g
- Unsaturated Fat: 3.9g
- Trans Fat: 0.1g
- Carbohydrates: 3.1g
- Fiber: 0.1g
- Protein: 2.4g
- Cholesterol: 37.9mg
Keywords: simple green onion dip, green onion dip with sour cream, green onion dip with cream cheese
The nutrition is an estimate only. It was calculated using Nutrifox, an online nutrition calculator.