Chicken and mushrooms drizzled with a rich and creamy sauce. This chicken and mushroom supreme is a delicious dinner!
Chicken & Mushroom Supreme
Bonjour! Welcome to Part 2 of my exciting series Better Know a Mother Sauce! Earlier this week I kicked off the series with veloute sauce – a simple base sauce made of chicken stock, butter, and flour – and I’m back today to share what I made with it…
After much deliberation I decided to go with supreme sauce – if you already have veloute sauce on hand (remember, you can freeze it!) all you have to do is warm it up, add some cream, and let it thicken. I brought my sauce together in the same pan that I cooked some mushrooms so it was infused with all the mushroomy goodness. I poured it over the mushrooms and some sliced chicken and, voila!, dinner served.
This first round in the series has been so fun (thanks, veloute sauce!) – One down four more to go!
More Chicken RecipesPrint
Chicken and mushrooms topped with a creamy supreme sauce made with butter, chicken stock, flour, and cream.
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts, seasoned well with salt and pepper on both sides
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 portabello mushroom caps, sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup veloute sauce
- 1/4 cup cream
- 1/2 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 lemon
- In a large pan, heat one tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Add the chicken breasts and cook about 5-6 minutes on each side, or until the internal temperature is 165 degrees.
- While the chicken is cooking, melt the 1 tablespoon of butter in a medium pan over medium heat. Add the mushroom slices and cook for a couple minutes on each side until they are nicely browned. Remove the mushrooms and set aside.
- Add the veloute sauce to the pan the mushrooms were in, scrape the bottom of the pan to loosen the browned bits. Bring to a simmer before adding the cream. Whisk together and simmer until the sauce thickens. stir in the herbs. Season to taste with salt and pepper (a few pinches of each).
- Once the chicken is cooked, remove it from the pan and let it rest for a minute before slicing it.
- Arrange the chicken and mushrooms on each plate and top with the sauce. Squeeze a small amount of lemon juice over the top of each. Serve immediately.
If you use frozen veloute be sure to thaw it before using. If needed, you can loosen the sauce with some additional chicken stock once you add it to the pan.
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: French
- Calories: 477
- Sugar: 4.6g
- Sodium: 317.8mg
- Fat: 28.9g
- Carbohydrates: 20.4g
- Fiber: 1.6g
- Protein: 34.2g
Keywords: chicken and mushroom supreme