This past weekend everything was bright, cheerful, and just gosh-darn-so-happy around these parts. Easter officially ushered in Spring and Chapel Hill responded in kind – suddenly tulips were everywhere, happy daffodils met us at every corner, and the trees that were completely bare just a week ago busted out with new growth and color. It’s a kaleidoscope of Spring and I feel so lucky that we get to live in such a colorful place. Naturally, all this color inspiration is working it’s magic in the kitchen the result of which is a bounty of colorful, vibrant, oh-so-fresh tasting fiesta lettuce cups. These are perfect little packages of black beans, bell peppers, red onion, spices, a hint of garlic, and fresh lime juice, but before I get to that can I just share a few pics?
Color, color everywhere…
Thank you, Chapel Hill.
So, about those fiesta lettuce wraps…
The filling needs some time in the fridge so that the black beans and veggies to have plenty of time to soak up the chili/cumin/lime juice mixture otherwise the flavor may be less fiesta and more meh, which is never a good thing, so a little advanced planning would be wise. Bibb lettuce makes for a nice vehicle for the filling, although it can be a little fragile so be careful not to overfill each wrap. A little less than half a cup per wrap seems right, although it’s not the end of the world if it falls apart as long as there’s a plate in hand to catch it. The little bundles o’ color are drizzled with a cilantro lime sour cream sauce that’s a cool and creamy contrast to the filling and is now something I want to drizzle on everything (chicken, fish, nachos, burgers – so many ideas).
The recipe makes about three cups of filling, which can be used for all sorts of things – think taco or burrito filling, salad mix-in, or heat some of it up in a pan and serve it for breakfast with a nice sunny-side up egg. A double batch of this stuff is a good idea… some for the wraps and some for later.
P.S. I just brought my Girl Gone Gourmet Facebook page back to life and would love it if you take a look and maybe follow along (I have a total of 3 likes – one of them me!) if Facebook’s your thing – if not, maybe Pinterest, Instagram, or Twitter is more your style. Either way, I’d love to connect!Print
Bright and fresh black bean and bell pepper lettuce wraps topped with a creamy cilantro lime sour cream sauce.
- For the Filling
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 medium yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 15.5 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin
- Juice from 1/2 a lime
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- [br]For the Sour Cream Sauce
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/2 tablespoon cilantro
- Zest from 1/2 a lime
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- [br]6 bibb lettuce leaves for serving
- Toss the first 11 ingredients all together in a medium sized bowl. Cover and refrigerate for at least a couple of hours (overnight is ideal) to allow the flavors to meld together.
- Before serving, make the sour cream sauce by mixing together the sour cream, lime juice, cilantro, zest, and salt.
- To serve, divide the filling equally across the bibb lettuce leaves. Drizzle the sour cream sauce over the top.