These hot roast beef sandwiches with pepper jack cheese sauce are great for a crowd! Want an even easier recipe for the cheese sauce? Be sure to check out my other hot roast beef sandwiches with a super simple cheddar cheese sauce
Hot Roast Beef Sandwiches
What is it about this time of year that makes me want to make big batches of stuff to hand out? Take for example these hot roast beef sandwiches with pepper jack cheese sauce – I want to make a bunch of these to give to carolers that might randomly show up at our house to sing Christmas songs. I would be like. “Oh, that’s so nice! What do I have to give you as our thanks? Oh, here we go — how about some hot roast beef sandwiches that have been warming in the oven? They have an oozy, creamy pepper jack cheese sauce – they’re delicious!” Then I would hand out the individually wrapped sandwiches while a chorus of ‘thank yous’ rings all around.
Okay, so that probably won’t happen – I can’t remember the last time carolers showed up (does anyone still do that?) – but there are lots of other good reasons to make these sandwiches. Maybe for those nights when there’s too much going on to sit down for an actual dinner. These can be made up fast and kept in the oven – everyone can just grab one and go. Or, maybe for tailgating? They could be kept warm in one of those bag warmers until it’s time to serve them from the back of a car. Or, they can be made ahead and reheated for lunch – I love a hot sandwich for lunch. So you see, they’re not just for Christmas carolers.
Some Ingredients You’ll Need
- Good roast beef from the deli: you’ll need about a 1/2 pound is good for 4-6 sandwiches – and ask for it thinly sliced.
- Soft rolls: I used onion rolls, but any rolls you like will do!
- Pepper jack cheese plus some butter, flour, and milk to make the cheese sauce.
More Hot Sandwich RecipesPrint
Hot roast beef sandwiches topped with a creamy pepper jack cheese sauce.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup grated pepper jack cheese
- 1/2 pound thin-sliced deli roast beef
- 4 hamburger buns
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and stir until combined. Slowly pour the milk into the pan, whisking continuously. Heat the milk until it starts to thicken. Add the cheese and stir until it’s melted and the sauce is thickened.
- Divide the roast beef between the hamburger buns. Top the beef with some of the cheese sauce. Wrap the sandwiches in foil and place them on a sheet pan. Warm them in the oven at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes or so. Lower the heat to 250 if you want to keep them warm.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Sandwiches
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 sandwich
- Calories: 364
- Sugar: 8.9g
- Sodium: 423.8g
- Fat: 11.5g
- Carbohydrates: 50g
- Fiber: 5.9g
- Protein: 5g
Keywords: hot roast beef sandwiches, cheese sauce