Easy slow cooker shredded beef sandwiches topped with provolone cheese and bell peppers and onion.
Slow Cooker Shredded Beef Sandwiches
In between Thanksgiving and the Christmas holidays time speeds up, days seem shorter, and stress levels inevitably rise. Thoughts of doing all the things lead to jam-packed schedules and frazzled nerves – it is all at once the most wonderful and most challenging time of the year for many.
So it is at this time of year that simple and easy dinners are not just a nice-to-have, but a necessity lest we let the month go by in a blur of greasy take-out bags or crowded restaurants. While convenient, hard earned dollars spent on sub par meals served under glaring lights or within the shadows of the drive-through can leave us with a feeling best described as “ick“.
So let’s eat well. It will power us through the daily to dos, endless errands, and all the other merriment that makes this time of year cheery and bright.
So today we have a ridiculously easy, totally satisfying slow cooker shredded beef sandwiches that’s a ten-minute prep, no pre-cooking anything, dump and go dinner hero that holds well in the likely event that dinnertime gets delayed thanks to all the fun holiday stuff that has to get done.
Fa, la, la, la,la, la, la, la, la.
Thank you, slow cooker.
Some Ingredients You’ll Need
- It all starts with a boneless chuck roast that cooks low and slow until it’s falling-apart tender.
- The chuck roast gets a healthy coating of spices including onion and garlic powder, dried Italian seasoning, and some salt and pepper.
- Fresh bell peppers – I used red and green, but any color you love will work fine. Dice half for the slow cooker and slice the rest to pile on the sandwiches.
- Red onion because no sandwich is complete without it.
- Provolone cheese for the best possible cheesy, melt-y sandwich experience.
- All the shredded beef, veggies, and cheese are piled on soft hoagie rolls.
More Dinner Ideas!
- Hot Roast Beef Sandwiches with Cheddar Cheese Sauce
- Cilantro-Lime Salmon Burgers with Avocado Mayo
- Grown-Up Sloppy Joes
Easy slow cooker shredded beef sandwiches topped with sliced peppers, onions, and provolone cheese.
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup chicken or beef stock
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3-pound boneless chuck roast
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Sliced bell peppers
- Sliced provolone cheese
- Hoagie rolls
- Place the diced bell pepper and onion in the slow cooker. Pour the chicken stock over the top.
- Mix the seasonings together in a small bowl. Rub the seasoning on the beef, covering both sides. Place the beef in the slow cooker. Cook the beef on low for 9-10 hours.
- Shred the beef in the slow cooker using two forks. Add the Worcestershire sauce and check the seasoning. If needed, add additional salt, approximately 1/2-1 teaspoon. Place the bottom half of each hoagie roll on a baking sheet. Top each with some shredded beef and the cheese slices. Place the baking sheet under the broil until the cheese is melted, a couple of minutes should be enough. Top the sandwiches with sliced pepper and onion.
Nutrition estimate is for the shredded beef only.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 sandwich
- Calories: 323
- Sugar: 1.7g
- Sodium: 640.6mg
- Fat: 13.3g
- Saturated Fat: 3.7g
- Unsaturated Fat: 9.3g
- Trans Fat: 0.8g
- Carbohydrates: 4g
- Fiber: 0.7g
- Protein: 47.5g
- Cholesterol: 168.3mg
Keywords: shredded beef sandwiches, slow cooker shredded beef
The nutrition information in this recipe is an estimate only and was calculated using Nutrifox, an online nutrition calculator.