More Soup Recipes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 4
- Category: Soups and Stews
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 red onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 32 ounces chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups fresh cheese tortellini (see note)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- Grated Parmesan cheese, for garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add in the onions, garlic, and carrots. Cook until softened, about 8-10 minutes. Add the tomato paste and stir to break it up. Add the Italian seasoning and diced tomatoes. Stir to combine. Add the chicken stock, salt and pepper. Bring to the pot to a strong simmer and let it all cook for about 10 minutes.
- Add the tortellini to the soup and simmer it until the tortellini is cooked through, about 10 minutes. Add the fresh herbs, simmer for another minute or so. Ladle into bowls and serve with grated Parmesan.
If you don’t plan on serving all of the soup in one sitting make the following adjustments: First, make the soup but before adding the tortellini, transfer part of the soup to a container (as much as your planning not to serve right away). Adjust the amount of tortellini. If serving half of the soup, cut the tortellini amount in half. For the soup that you save, reheat it on the stove until it simmers and add the tortellini. I recommend this because the soup does not keep well with the tortellini. The pasta will absorb the soup if the leftovers are stored in the fridge.