I did the weirdest thing the other day – I started thinking about and planning for upcoming holiday dinners, which is so not like me. Most years I’m the crazy person who runs to the store a day or two before the big holiday, grabs a cart and rushes around the store in a frenzied state hoping and praying that I can find what I need. I usually spend twice as much as I had planned thanks to last minute panicked impulse buys. It’s not pretty.
So with the holidays just around the corner, I decided this will be the year I get my act together. No more last minute craziness. This year will be all about planning and organization so our holidays are a calm, serene and tasty experience. Yep, that’s what I’m gonna do and, not only that, but I’m going to share some of the recipes with you between now and December in case you’re in need of some inspiration. Sound good? Yes, I realize it’s only October but, seriously, there are only 37 days until Thanksgiving — it will be here before we know it!
So let’s get it started with a salad that is a perfect side dish for a holiday dinner. Mashed potatoes, gravy, green bean casseroles, and stuffing all need something fresh to go alongside to balance out all the richness. This roasted Brussels sprouts & kale salad fits the bill. Warm, roasted Brussels sprouts meet fresh kale, toasted pine nuts, and shaved Parmesan cheese. It’s hearty, easy to make, and can be served at room temperature, if needed. It’s also pretty to look at, isn’t it?
Oh, and by the way – you don’t have to wait until Thanksgiving to try this salad. It’s great all on it’s own with some crusty bread and a bowl of soup on the side. So, maybe give this one a go before the big dinner to see what you think? It’s definitely on my holiday “must make” list.
- ⅓ cup pine nuts
- ¼ cup olive oil, divided
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon mayo
- Juice from ½ of lemon
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 25 Brussels sprouts, halved or quartered so each are approximately the same size
- 1 pound fresh kale, stems removed and leaves cut or torn into bite sized pieces
- ½ cup shaved or shredded Parmesan
- Preheat a pan over medium heat and add the pine nuts
- Toast the pine nuts just until they are lightly browned and fragrant, remove from the heat and set aside
- In a bowl whisk together the oil, balsamic, mayo, lemon juice and herbs until well combined
- In a large bowl toss the kale with the dressing. Set aside for at least 30 minutes to allow the dressing to break down the kale.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees
- Toss the Brussels sprouts in 2 tablespoons of olive oil, season with salt and pepper
- Spread the Brussels sprouts in a single layer on a sheet pan. Roast at 425 degrees for about 20-25 minutes, or until the sprouts are fork tender and caramelized on the outside.
- Toss the Brussels sprouts with the kale along with the toasted pine nuts. Top with the Parmesan cheese
- Serve while the Brussels sprouts are warm or at room temperature